Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The true cost of poverty

The UN released a report on the UN Millenium Project with some more details and projections for worldwide poverty. The UN website have a nice page with a summary of goals. I heard about this project last year and, like many people throughout the world, thought it was a much needed thing.

I was going to make a long post about finally proving to the world what it's worth (in everyday financial terms) to get these 1 billion people out of poverty, but I must say, I need to do a little more research on what exactly the report says. The MSNBC report is an interesting summary of opinions, but I'd like to see the investment strategy that the UN report outlines before I make comments about it. I have high hopes for this project, but I'll try to read some more details before getting into a long post about it.

It may take a while since the UN report is 3,000 pages long (yes three thousand!) so if any of you have any good links to more resources about the report, please leave a comment with details. Thanks!

No comments: