Thursday, January 06, 2005

Morning cup of...infomercials

Lately, because of the holiday season, I've been working from home a lot, or I've had days off. So to keep things from getting too quiet around the house, I usually turn on the TV. Now, if you're at home in the mornings, you probably know that nothing interesting comes on until 10am when Price Is Right comes on. But before that, I can never find anything interesting, so the default background show for me is the Today Show.

Have you ever seen this show? It's been on for so long, I'm sure you've seen at least one episode. It's a pretty innocuous show. I mean, strange weathermen is about the only thing I take away from the show. The thing that gets me though is the infomercials throughout. Infomercials, you say? Well, ya. The show is riddled with plugs for various products. The plugs are disguised as tips on the latest fashion trends or gift giving trends or whatever, but they're essentially advertisements for the products. And you thought Queer Eye and The Apprentice was obnoxious with its product placements? (which are paid for by the way)

Seriously, I'm surprised people haven't asked about how much NBC makes off this show just by selling plug spots. Whether it's make-up, jeans, or jewelry, they make sure to tell you the brand name, how much it costs, and where you can get the item. All while housewives across America are sitting engrossed. Seems like NBC has a strategy here...Today Show, The Apprentice, and Queer Eye are all produced by NBC....

And the other thing...what up with Katie Couric? She's always throwing in some double-entedre or some comment to show that she's down with the times. She randomly threw in the term Chrismukkah and I was like, huh? She seems to try too hard with her jokes and catch-phrases. Maybe it's just too early in the morning for her.

Anyways, get up early one day and watch a few minutes of the show...you'll see what I mean.

No comments: