Monday, January 05, 2004

Tidbits

After clicking "Post & Publish" on my last post, some things that popped through my mind:

  • Mars - If you haven't been keeping track, Mars is the lastest hot spot destination for all things mechanical. We were in Europe when the British Beagle 2 landed (or more correctly, was lost) on Mars. It's funny because the chief of that mission was very much like the quirky Brit gentleman I had imagined. He really took pride in his work and was proper in a British way, but he didn't bother with being too professional at every moment. NASA's Rover just landed yesterday and the emotions are quite different. If you've read my blog for a while, you know how much of a space junkie I am. So seeing two completely different sides of space exploration was rather interesting for me.

  • Beer - I was lucky enough to enjoy some extra cold Guinness along with some other brews while in London. I was surprised not to find any Newcastle, especially since it's an English brew. In any case, if you're looking for a reason to visit England, the Guinness should rank high on your list.

  • Britney - Somehow, I imagine Britney is huddled up in the corner of her suite right now wondering what happened. I won't go on since the poor girl is obviously trying to figure out who she is and where she goes from here.

  • Etap Hotels - If you're looking to save money while traveling in Europe, Etap is definitely a good, albeit Spartan way to go. The rooms are clean, relatively comfortable, and easy to reserve. Of course, if you don't like using airplane bathrooms, then you're in for some fun. The toilet & shower are separate and they pre-fab so opening the door to either is like stepping into a 747 lavatory. At least they're clean though. We stayed in these hotels for several days while driving through France & Switzerland. Each time I was rightly amazed at the efficiency of these places. Quite the experience.



Obviously, there's much more to come.

No comments: