Friday, April 07, 2006

Journey of a Lifetime

I came home tonight a bit late (taxes, ugh) and my wife was watching this show on the Travel Channel. I didn't know what it was, but I just saw nappy headed Indians wearing saffron so I had to investigate. Turns out that it was a show called Journey of a Lifetime

It's a two part show where Jeremy Piven (of Entourage fame) travels in both South and North India. The show is nothing ground breaking since there have been many travel documentaries including Lonely Planet. But I guess I took a chance to stop for an hour and think about just exploring.

I've mentioned a few times that I've been quite busy lately. I don't feel overwhelmed or anything, but it's nice to be to take a moment and just think. Think about something new. Think about exploring. Think about thinking.

Okay, I won't go wacko on you, but most times, I just kind of shuffle along in life and don't time out. I've written about these previous times when I've had the chance to stop for a moment and appreciate what we have, where we are etc. This time, the moment was more a selfish thing. Wondering about when we'd get a chance to just step our of lives and do the kind of exploring that Piven does on this show. I used to think about this all the time...the Thorn Tree over at the Lonely Planet website was a daily web destination for me since I loved to just think about all the interesting things I'd do and see when I visit India. And I made it happen for several years after graduating. I found an exuse to head there any time I could and always planned trips to somewhere interesting.

We're hoping to go to India at the end of this year, so hopefully it works out. For a while, I had been going to India every other year, but now it's been 4 yrs since we've been there and it feels like much longer. I don't know if we'll actually be able to travel within India since we may just end up going to attend a family wedding, but we'll see. If nothing else, it would be interesting to take photos of a Hindu wedding actually in India. A weddings's, a wedding's, a wedding. But it'll be a different world with very different elements to capture.

That's just one of the more exploratory things I'd like to do if we do go to India. It's too far off to think about right now, but this show gave me a chance to look forward to a possible trip in the near future.

I've got a few photos from India on Flickr. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to post more photos from those trips since everything was still on film but I'll hunt around for scanned versions I've got sitting on one of the computers around here.

No comments: