Friday, March 10, 2006

Firefly

Somehow I manage to watch a lot of TV, but very few shows. TV, for me, is a background type of thing which breaks the silence when I'm working from home or when I can't sleep at night. So the TV's always on, but I rarely follow any specific show. Over the years there have been very few shows which I would actually tune in for. Obviously Seinfeld & The Simpsons are all-time classics. In fact, if there were specific channels dedicated to just those two shows, I would never change the channel except to watch a basketball game.

But alas, there is no Seinfeld-24/7 or Simpsons-24/7 channel so there are a few other shows which I try to catch. 24 is one of those shows on the current roster. Firefly is another. What's that? You've never heard of Firefly?

Well, that's probably because the show was cancelled after half a season on Fox. I recently discovered the show by watching the feature film based on the series called Serenity. The show is this interesting twist between sci-fi and western. I generally don't like sci-fi too much, but I actually watched Serenity because the trailers made it seem like a good action flick. Little did I expect to find good characters and an interesting story. So I went ahead and downloaded the entire series and have been a compulsive watcher since. There are only 15 epidsodes and none of them have cliffhanger type endings, but I can't help but watch episode after episode. Needless to say, it worked well on my sleepless nights.

Is this show something that everyone should be sure to watch? Well, it's nothing earth shattering. But it's got the kind of character development and plotlines that make it much more interesting than your average sci-fi show. It's never about the technology on the ship, it's never about aliens (although the movie focuses on some stuff which is only hinted at in the series). The movie is a bit more formulaic in terms of character development, but it will give you a good idea of what the show is like. Odds are that you'll be interested enough to watch the series. All of this stuff is on DVD now so you can probably rent it. Or, if you know me, give a holler since I've got the series and movie on my laptop.

Ok, I'll look to stop with the reviews at some point...

No comments: