Friday, May 21, 2004

Jumping the Shark

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was telling a friend a few weeks ago that Crunk has jumped the shark. The day before I had seen the preview for the Olsen Twins' movie "New York Minute" and the background song was "Shake it Like a Saltshaker" by the Yin Yang Twins. Let me tell you that I was thoroughly disturbed watching the Olsen twins (and Eugene Levy) running around while the baseline of "Saltshaker" was playing. Certainly not a sight I had imagined while bumpin that track on my stereo.

But let's chalk that one up to wierd and unecessary combinations where marketing people try to bring in a wider audience. Another example of that is the use of 50 Cent's "In the Club" as the background music for the preview of Harrison Ford's Hollywood Homicide. Needless to say, Harrison is the last person I'd expect at a club bobbing his head to 50. But I digress...

The next and perhaps more convincing argument that Crunk has jumped the shark? MSNBC writing a story on how Cunk is like Punk Rock. It's always fun reading something that's trying to explain and define a cultural/street phenomenom in terms that the average white joe blow can understand. Here's to journalistic integrity!

Personally Crunk's jumping the shark makes no difference in my life. Lil Jon is always a fun guy to listen to hollering on a track ("WHHHHHHHHHAT?!?!") and basslines can always make some bones shiver. Jumping the Shark in this case just means there's some odd juxtapositions going on with the growing popularity. I don't think it means the quality of the music is going down-hill. As long as those qualities are around it's "OOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!"

No comments: