Monday, November 24, 2003

Music Actually

Yes, I admit it, I'm a sap when it comes to romantic comedies. We saw Love Actually over the weekend, and I didn't even have to be forced into seeing it. Granted, we intended to see Elf (I'm a sap for stupid comedies too), but since it was soldout, we took the next showing of this Hugh Grant vehicle.

I must say that I was pleasently surprised, however. The comedy was very witty (a la much British comedy). Moreover, Hugh Grant's sputtering indecisive facial expressions were kept to a minimum. While his expressions were fine in Four Weddings and a Funeral, I grew tired of them in oh so many of his other movies. So that said, I liked the way multiple story lines were presented. I think we've all become accustomed to multiple story lines since Pulp Fiction, but I dare say that many movies just don't do it well. In Love Actually, the stories aren't really weaved together with plot (some have faint ties), they're connected through music. While Quentin Tarantino does a great job with music choice in his films, the music in his films tends to be much more in your face...meaning you can't miss it. Love Actually is an example where the music (not the score) fills in the movie and makes sure there aren't gaps. Of course, there are many films where the music does this so I won't say that Love Actually is a one-of-a-kind.

Since I'm notoriously bad at remembering names connected with music (be it artist, album, or song title) I had to look up the music I heard while watching the movie. The selection is quite ecletic and jazzy in parts. Ranging from Dido, Norah Jones, and Joni Mitchell to Wyclef Jean, The Beach Boys, and Sugababes.

Since I like British comedies, this movie was bound to please at least a little. The music definitely gave it a bump of another 1/2 star. If you're into Brits and their laughs, check out Love Actually. If you detest Hugh Grant and everything European, definitely avoid this one.

Cheers!

No comments: