Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Snap! Crackle! Click! My Photos!


Holding the Dupatta
Originally uploaded by Jigar.
Well, it's been over a year since we started the business and I finally got tired of not being able to show off some of my favorite photos. Let's start with this one since it's near the top of my faves list.


It's actually from one of the first weddings we covered, but I still love it for the meaning behind it.

Sikh wedding ceremonies are so calm that they're almost non-events. However one of the most important ceremonies is when the couple walks clockwise around the Guru Granth Sahib four times. This is pretty similar to the Hindu ceremony where the couple walks around the fire 4 times as well.

One of the things I noticed about the Sikh ceremony is that the bride holds her groom's dupatta (rather than having their dupattas tied as in Hindu ceremonies). For some reason I find this to be so meaningful. In Hindu ceremonies a similar thing is done where the dupattas of the couple are tied together, but something about the bride holding the dupatta during the entire ceremony conveys more to me.

And, for me, this moment is transformed by this photo. I've taken several very similar to this, but this is still the one that I like the best. Indeed, the bride loves this photo too.

Filed Under:

No comments: