Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Coincidence

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that we've been watching Nip/Tuck for a few weeks. It's not a bad show and the fact that they've been showing several episodes a night recently has made it easy to get wrapped up in it. Rather than comment on the quality of this show or why it's engrossing, I just thought it was funny last night when the show had a song from a CD which I had just ripped ten minutes earlier.

One of last night's episodes had quite a few songs from the 80's, including one from ABC. For some reason I had decided to not rip this album when first going through my CD wallet, but last night I changed my mind just before dinner. Lo and behold, while winding down after dinner, one of their songs is played on Nip/Tuck. If the song had been by a better known band or something more recent (a la every WB show), it wouldn't have surprised me. But since ABC is a relatively obscure band and I recognized a non-hit of their's, I felt a little like an insider. Woo hoo! Of course, I had to groove to the album while on Light Rail this morning.

So the new method of rating a band: Can they make a tribute song to a mildly entertaining contemporary artist and make you groove in the way that only an 80's band can??

Sorry to say, only ABC qualifies, therefore, ABC is ranked at the top of the list.

No comments: