Thursday, November 03, 2005

Diwali and Sal Mubarak

Ok, so I'm several days late on this, but I just had to post a little something about this.

Happy Diwali! (Diwali Mubarak)

Happy New Year! (Sal Mubarak)

As a Gujarati, only the second wish is common place. I never grew up wishing people a happy Diwali since our family cared more about the next day, which is new year's day in the Hindu calendar. But since college I've been exposed to the variation of Hindu culture and I receive Diwali greetings all day, but I tend not to wish anyone a Happy Diwali.

Not because I'm a stooge, but simply because I'm used to wishing people a Sal Mubarak.

I confirmed this with several Gujarati colleagues yesterday (which was New Year's Day), so I can truthfully say that most Gujarati operate this way. We wish each other Sal Mubarak and go to temple on new year's day and go out to each on new year's day and call everyone on new year's day and generally make a big to-do about new year's day.

Diwali? Eh...light a diya and be done with it :)

Anyways, just a light hearted way of explaining how we Gujaratis are even wierder than you thought ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree -- someone needs to write a 'Gujju for Dummies' book for me!

Jigar said...

Hmm...that sounds like an apt title for a new blog. Of course, I barely have time for my own blog, so some other Gujju will have to start it up. Of course, it'll prolly be the 2nd most popular desi blog out there (behind Sepia Mutiny)

Anonymous said...

Saal Mubarak...or in in Gujarati (something I learn every year and then promptly forget) "Nutan varsh na Abhinandan".

Hmm..the "Gujjus for Dummies" sounds like a great idea. It would help others learn the Gujju idiosyncracies.