Thursday, September 30, 2004

Can you see clearly now?

I've mentioned a few times that I closely follow the presidential campaigns. I'm not exactly sure why I follow them so closely. Perhaps it's the fact that these campaigns will give us insight into who to vote for in the coming election. More probably, it's the fact that both campaigns are so hollow and transparent that it's not even funny.

When there's a car wreck on the side of road I never slow down to gander. For some reason, however, I can't help myself when it comes to these campaigns.

What has been making me wonder lately is whether the bulk of the American public sees right through these campaigns. My friends certainly see through them. From various interviews I hear of random people, they also seem to see right through the hogwash.

So what gives? Are people just so used to the political nonsense that they stop and stare at the car wrecks at the roadside? Are people really engrossed by the statements that people from each campaign make? Are these folks unaware that every statement coming out of the campaigns is filled with more spin than fact?

Does anyone really think that Bush isn't a master debater? Does anyone think today's debate isn't a must-win for Kerry? Does anyone think the debate is more about substance than style? Well, according to the Bush campaign, Kerry has the upper hand in the debate since he's a champion debater. Yeah, right. And according the Kerry campaign, today's debate is important, but not the end-all-be-all for his campaign. Yeah, right. And according to various news outlets, people actually care about what is said during these debates, not how it's said. Yeah, right.

I suppose we're all in on this. We listen to the nonsense coming from all angles and act like we take it very seriously. Thus more similar nonsense comes our way and we can do nothing more than absorb it all in.

Here's to being politically active folks!

No comments: