Friday, August 13, 2004

And now for something completely different

Ok, so let's forget about the source of all my recent hits. I've actually been getting an increasing number of visitors because my posts about everyone's favorite multi-level marketing scheme. Amazing how much info there is out there on the company. In any case, I got 87 visits yesterday!

Ok, so now for something much more interesting than commentary about my blog: The Olympics!

I'm definitely not looking forward to these Games like I was looking forward to the Sydney Games. But I'm getting more excited about them. Of course, the web has a lot of random articles about the Olympics. There have been the more serious ones analyzing the athletes and their chances of winning. Of course, the focus is usually on American athletes. In this day and age, you'd figure I would read more non-American sites, huh?

Well, whatever the case, here are a couple of really random articles:
Ever wonder about how many medals a country might win? Well, we all know there are powerhouses who spend lots of money on their programs thus they win lots of medals (US, China, Russia, Germany), but wouldn't it be nice to have a little more analytical approach to this? Well, our friends at PriceWaterhouseCoopers have answered your pleas! I'm just wondering how much analysis went into this.

Back in 2000 ESPN.com had this pick-em game where you could pick countries and score points based on the number of medals they won and the multiplier for that country. So a medal for the US would garner 1 point, while a medal for Thailand would garner 10 points. Or something like that. The less likely a country is to win a medal, the more points you'd get. Anyways, I'm sure this PwC research would have helped my score back in 2000. I sucked. My friend was smart and picked small countries which have good athletes in specific sports. Like Turkey is good at weightlifting (a la, the "Pocket Rocket")

Anyways, enough about that, on to the babes!

As usual, the media outlets like to draw in people either through controversy or sex. Since I'm not going to focus on the controversy of multi-level marketing, let's talk about sex! Several American female athletes have been posing in their skivvies for magazines like FHM and Maxim. Some, like Amy Acuff, are even posing for Playboy. Now, this may be old news in Australia where it seems like a bunch of female athletes have posed for years, it's pretty new to the US. Everyone including the New York Times and MSNBC are covering this.

Anyways, I'll try to report back on the most random stuff I find during the Olympics. I'm sure we'll all be watching them to some extent, so if you've got some interesting stuff you want to relate, leave a comment!

No comments: