Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Soul-Full

The other while driving I saw a car in front of me I saw a station wagon with a bumper sticker that said "Drum Machines Have No Soul". I started to wonder what type of music the person didn't like. New Wave? R&B? Hip Hop?

I then started to wonder what type of the music the person DID like. Hard Rock? Classic rock? Maybe the bumper sticker was supposed to be ironic and the person actually liked New Wave music?

Since this was the only sticker on the car, I was very perplexed and thought about it for much longer than I needed to.

So coincidentally, I listened to a lot of Depeche Mode this weekend while painting our new house. I had downloaded a DM discography a while back and had yet to listen through stuff. So I just loaded up iTunes and had it set to random.

DM was the first band I really obsessed over. And yes, I admit that :) While I don't really like or listen to any of their newer stuff, running through a few dozen of their tracks over the weekend really took me back to when Dave Gahan, Martin Gore, at al were gods to me. Man, as far as music went, DM was it and nothing could beat their keyboards and drum machines.

It was only near the end of the day that I recalled that bumper sticker and had to smirk. Here I was remembering my spiked hair, rolled pant cuffs, pastel shirts and dopey glasses. And man, was that music full of soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DM is awesome. Definitely one of the greatest bands of all time if you ask me. Although, I wouldn't discount their newer stuff. One of the things that I love about them is that they evolve, but still find a way to let you know that they are still the same. DM uses real drums and guitars now, but when one of their songs comes on the radio, I can instantly tell that it's DM.