Monday, July 12, 2004

Call my Agent!

You know, Robert Smith's agent must be on the phone right now negotiating to have "Friday I'm in Love" serve as the theme song for TGI Friday's restaurants. The dude is working it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with The Cure finally making some bank for all the work they've put in over the years. I wrote before about the HP digital printing ad which uses "Pictures of You". I haven't written about the recent covers of Cure songs (although they're pretty bad). The latest tidbit about hearing The Cure in unexpected places?

Nordstrom's

If you've never been to Nordstrom's, you're not missing anything. It's just another posh departmant store with relatively bland, overpriced fashions and relatively bland, over-make-up-ed shoppers. The couple of unique things about the place:


  • Shoppers actually buy license plate frames declaring their heart's content with "I'd rather be shopping at Nordstrom's"

  • Pianists play live music on weekends to keep people tapping their toes.



So over the long weekend we were at South Coast Plaza down in THE OH-SEE, BITCH! (er, I meant to say Orange County). My mom wants to take a look into Nordie's even though all of us know we're not going to spend a dime in the store (I still can't really grasp the concept of walk-by shopping just to see what's for sale). As soon as we walk past the crowded espresso stand (oh yes, add that to the list of Nordie's specialties - they have espresso stands in the store), I hear the pianist playing a catchy tune.

Lo and behold, it's "Love Song" by The Cure.

WTF?

If you don't know what song I'm talking about, listen to it now.

Ok, so 311 recently did a gawd-awful cover of this wonderful song and that cover is getting a lot of radio-time, but how does a classical pianist chose a relatively depressing song to play on a holiday weekend when people are jazzed up to display their national pride? (smirk).


  • Did this pianist hear the song on KROQ before coming into work?

  • Did he just love 311's version so much that he had to do his own rendition?

  • Did he think Robert Smith is a god and must be worked into the leisurely lives of the insanely wealthy OC'ers shopping at the South Coast Nordie's?

  • Did the Robert Smith robot from South Park somehow infiltrate the hallowed riches of THE OH-SEE, BITCH? (er, Orange County)


What is going on here??

Whatever the case may be, I need to find an agent who will pimp me and my talents left, right, and center.

No comments: